Layered Persian and Jute Area Rugs

Sunday, December 30, 2012


While out of town last weekend, my husband and I stumbled upon this Persian rug (above) in a thrift store. It was very reasonably priced, so we decided to buy it. However, when we got it home, we realized it was a bit smaller than might be ideal for our living room. 

We're living with the tiny rug for now, but I'm toying with the idea of layering it over a plain jute rug. Over the years, I've seen lots of interiors in which layered rugs look great, but I needed to do a little visual research to convince myself. Here are some rooms with Persian rugs laid on top of larger jute rugs below. 

What do you think? Could we pull this off in our living room? 


via ELLE DECOR.

Lisa Borgnes-Giramonti's home office, via Houzz.


Lisa Borgnes-Giramonti's home office, via Houzz.


Rita Konig's apartment, via New York magazine.


Source unknown.


via One Kings Lane.


Jenny Wolf Interiors, via MyDecorPad.com.

3 comments:

The Centric Home said...

It does work, I do it all the time for cost cutting! I have also added larger orientals in a lesser quality if the client loves patterns for that more bohemian look. Don't over think it, just do it and you'll love it!

Laura Fenton said...

Thanks for the encouragement!

Liz Fenton said...

Yes, do it, and get a pretty big one, at least 6x9.

 

the little house in the city © All rights reserved · Theme by Blog Milk · Blogger