NYT's Pasta With Kale Pesto and Butternut Squash

Thursday, December 03, 2009


It would have been easy to miss Melissa Clark's column in last week's New York Times, with all the focus on Thanksgiving and post-Turkey Day leftovers. However, it caught my eye with the title 'Feeding a Runner With Miles to Burn.' The Pasta With Kale Pesto and Roasted Butternut Squash was the writer's husband's pre-New York City marathon meal earlier this fall. (Mine was a decidedly less virtuous meal out at Al Di La with my father, sister and boyfriend--I had a farro salad, ravioli with a sage butter sauce and a glass of red wine.)

While a pre-race meal may sound unexciting to most, I was intrigued: Pesto made with kale? I made a mental note to try it out. Last weekend at the farmer's market, I saw both kale and butternut squash, recalled the recipe and decided to give it a whirl. Boy, am I glad I did! I made this for a friend who came over last night and it was great. I upped the garlic to three cloves, but otherwise followed this recipe to the letter--you should too, it's delicious! The recipe is right here.

I am also curious to try Mark Bittman's risotto-style pasta.

0 comments:

 

the little house in the city © All rights reserved · Theme by Blog Milk · Blogger