Turkey Chili for a Crowd

Wednesday, April 02, 2014


Last night, a bunch of work friends came over for a weeknight gathering. I wanted to cook something that was easy, casual, relatively healthy, wallet friendly and fit for a crowd (a tall order, I know). I've recently fallen in love with Citarella's turkey chili (it's really delicious and a bargain at $5 for a hefty serving), and it inspired me to make a batch of chili for the gang. I couldn't find a recipe that seemed like a close match for the Citarella version, so I made up my own. I still have a ways to go to match the Citarella version, but mine was good enough to share with you here.

I served the chili over brown rice ( with a bunch of garnishes for my guests to choose from. I also baked some cornbread (Jiffy!) in a cast-iron skillet to serve on the side. This recipe makes A LOT of chili. It woudl be great for a party or if you want to freeze some for later consumption.

Turkey Chili for a Crowd
Serves 8+

Ingredients 

4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 medium onions, diced
2 yellow or red bell peppers, seeded and diced
2 to 4 chipotle peppers in adobo, minced, plus 2 tsp. sauce
2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
2 pounds ground turkey meat
2 28-oz. can diced tomatoes
1 15-oz. can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 15-oz. can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup corn kernels (I used dehydrated, but fresh, frozen or canned is fine)
Salt and pepper

Garnishes: diced avocado, lime wedges, sliced scallions, grated sharp cheddar, chopped fresh cilantro, sour cream

1. Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and bell pepper and sauté until tender, 6 to 8 minutes.
2. Add chipotle peppers, their sauce, and dry spices, and sauté for 2 more minutes.
3. Add ground turkey, breaking it up into small chunks with a spoon. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Stir frequently until meat is no longer pink, 6 to 8 minutes.
4. Add beans, tomatoes, and corn to the pot, and stir well. Bring to a boil, and then reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for at least one hour to let flavors meld. Taste, and season with salt and pepper.
5. Serve over brown rice with garnishes, like diced avocado, lime wedges, sliced scallions, grated sharp cheddar, chopped fresh cilantro, and sour cream.

0 comments:

 

the little house in the city © All rights reserved · Theme by Blog Milk · Blogger