Recipe Hunt: Delicata Squash

Friday, December 07, 2012

I remember the first time I ate delicata squash. It was at one of the Natural Gourmet Institute's Friday night dinners, and I thought, "What is this funny squash, and why hasn't it been peeled?" Since then, delicatas have become more common, and I seem them on menus all over the city.

I love winter squash in general, but I've fallen hard for the delicata squash for one simple reason: You don't have to peel them! Yes, it's not that hard to peel a squash, but for a weeknight meal, it sure is nice to skip that step. I did a little hunting and dug up five delicata squash recipes to try -- some are easier than others, but none of them require peeling!



Winter Squash with Spiced Butter from Bon Appetit.


Delicata Squash Salad with Kale and Cranberry Beans from Whole Living.



Delicata Squash and Roasted Mushrooms with Thyme from the late great Gourmet. 


Roasted Delicata Squash with Honey, Pomegranate Seeds, and Pepitas from Sunset.


Roasted Chicken Thighs With Delicata Squash from Melissa Clark's column for The New York Times.

1 comments:

Liz Fenton said...

I did the Sunset recipe for Thanksgiving, and it was great--and easy.

 

the little house in the city © All rights reserved · Theme by Blog Milk · Blogger