The Best Granola Ever

Friday, November 16, 2012


A while back I wrote about an excellent granola recipe from Gourmet. In the past three years I have made many variations on the recipe. Early on, I swapped olive oil for the butter, the nuts and dried fruits I have used changed constantly and sometimes I've swapped in different sweeteners and spices.

Not too long ago, friend sent me some granola from Haven's Kitchen, which turned out to be borderline addictive. Unable to support a pricey, gourmet granola habit, I set out to replicate the Haven's Kitchen mix, using the Gourmet recipe as a base and the package's list of ingredients as my clue for the recipe. I still need to do a side-by-side comparison, but I think my interpretation is a pretty good runner up to the heavenly original. I like to eat it served over Greek yogurt with a drizzle of honey.

The Best Granola Ever Recipe

5 c. whole rolled oats
1 c. coconut chips
1 c. almonds, chopped
1/4 c. pepitas
1/4 c. sunflower seeds
1/2 c. neutral flavored olive oil
1/2 c. maple syrup
1/2 t. salt
1 1/2 t. cinnamon
1 c. raisins
1 c. dried cherries

1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. In a large bowl stir together oats, coconut, nuts, seeds, salt and cinnamon.
3. Drizzle olive oil and maple syrup over the oat mixture and toss to combine well (I use salad tongs to toss the oats).
4. Spread granola evenly in 2 shallow baking pans and bake in upper and lower thirds of oven, stirring frequently and switching position of pans halfway through baking, until golden brown, about 35-45 minutes.
5. In large bowl combine granola with dried fruits and cool, stirring occasionally for 1 1/2 hours as it cools.

1 comments:

Jackie said...

Have been meaning to try to re-create that amazing Haven's Kitchen granola for a while now, and finally did, using your recipe today. Im just trying my first bowl and realizing. We forgot the sesame seeds!! I also think it wants about twice as much salt, and perhaps more syrup. The salty/sweet of the Haven's is what really gets you. But this is a good recipe to go off of, and I am grateful for it!

 

the little house in the city © All rights reserved · Theme by Blog Milk · Blogger