Lemony Asparagus With Walnuts and Parsley

Wednesday, April 20, 2011



Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I am going to try harder to record the things I cook. It's hard to remember to measure things and take photos, but I think it's worth the effort -- I love to share when a recipe is a success. We cook most nights and it's rare that we're cooking from a recipe. For example, tonight was a very simple meal: Salad, leftover pita bread, scrambled eggs with fresh herbs and some sautéed asparagus.

The asparagus is worth writing about -- it was a simple, but delicious side dish. First, I will say that I have always peeled asparagus because my mother did. My boyfriend thought I was nuts the first time he watched me peel each stalk, but after he ate them, he agreed that it was a task worth the effort (especially for thicker stalks). I've also discovered that Oxo's serrated peeler is the ideal tool for peeling asparagus. (Note: I never would have bought a serrated peeler, but received it as a gift and have found it useful for certain tasks like asparagus or fruits.) Here's how I cooked the asparagus:

Lemony Asparagus with Walnuts and Parsley

3 T.  olive oil
1 small yellow onion, finely chopped (approx. 1/2 cup)
1/4 c. red pepper flakes
1 bunch asparagus peeled
1/4 c. walnuts, toasted and chopped
zest of 1/2 lemon
2 T. chopped parsley
salt and pepper

1. Cut woody ends off asparagus, then cut stalks into 2-inch pieces.
2. Heat pan, add olive oil when pan is hot. Add onions and red pepper flakes to pan, stir and cook for 1 minute.
3. Add asparagus to pan and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
4. Add lemon zest, parsley and walnuts to pan, stir and cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

0 comments:

 

the little house in the city © All rights reserved · Theme by Blog Milk · Blogger