Mexican Kale

Friday, February 25, 2011


On Tuesday I heard that it was National Margarita Day (really, I swear!), so the boyfriend and I decided we really ought to celebrate with tacos and a margarita for dinner (just one, since it was a school night). Since it was a last-minute decision, we had a pretty hodge podge meal (white navy beans instead of pintos or black beans and the last dregs of salsa), but we did have an accidental recipe success. I had some kale in the fridge and decided to give it my version of a "Mexican" treatment, and it worked out beautifully. Here's how I made it:


Mexican Kale

1 head kale, de-ribbed and chopped
1 small-medium onion, chopped
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
1/2 chipotle pepper in adob, minced very small
Olive Oil
Salt
Pepper

1. Bring a pot of water to a boil, when boiling add kale and cook for 10 minutes. Drain and press out excess water. (I even spun mine dry in a salad spinner.)
2. Heat olive oil over medium-high heat until almost smoking, add onion to pan and sauté for a few minutes. Add pepper to pan. Sauté for another few minutes.
3. Add minced chipotle pepper to pan and stir to incorporate. Add parboiled kale to pan and sauté for a few more minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

0 comments:

 

the little house in the city © All rights reserved · Theme by Blog Milk · Blogger