Deborah Berke Shelter Island House

Friday, August 20, 2010

Before André Balazs opened his chic Sunset Beach resort, Shelter Island was just a sleepy place at the eastern end of Long Island -- I know because my family spent our summers on the island until the mid-90s. Shelter Island will always hold a very special spot in my heart, as it is the location of countless childhood memories. This weekend I am lucky enough to be heading out the island to visit family friends; in honor of my impending visit, I thought I'd share this lovely Shelter Island house by Deborah Berke & Partners.


While, the modern exterior and interiors of this home are is nothing like the wood-shingled bungalow my family lived in, it feels like Shelter Island to me, nonetheless. I believe, I first saw the home in O at Home magazine years ago, and from what I can recall of the article, it was built on a very modest budget. It's a house I have returned to look at on Berke's site many times over the years. Isn't it just lovely and simple in the best possible way?



0 comments:

 

the little house in the city © All rights reserved · Theme by Blog Milk · Blogger