DIY Inspiration: Denim Quilts

Wednesday, July 23, 2014


I saw the photo above in Martha Stewart Living years ago, and I have been saving my worn out jeans ever since in the hopes of someday making my own denim quilt. After collecting for several years, I think I may have gathered enough to make one. However, my only quilting experience is a group project my Girl Scout troop made circa 1988, but I think I can manage it, especially since I'm most inspired by somewhat rustic-looking quilts, like the one below.


While Martha provided a gorgeous inspiration image, the directions are a little scant on details. A little sleuthing online lead me to a tutorial on the blog Little Birdie Secrets. I'm not crazy about the contrasting top-stitching she chose, but if I tried it with denim-colored thread, I think it might be a workable technique. However, I like the way the Martha team laid out their quilt: They made strips that run the full-length of the bed and stitched them together (the other blogger, made strips that were the width of the quilt instead).


Does anyone have any experience quilting with denim? I'd love to hear any advice! Here are a few more denim quilts that I find inspiring.


I love the bleached crosses on the one above and the dots below. I think the bleached denim technique might be a nice way to add pattern to the quilt. Note that Martha's version had sections of ticking stripe fabric and what appear to be dish towels to break up the sea of indigo. 


Photos from Martha Stewart Living, Jared on Flickr, Jo Simmons on Flickr, Mazama, and Tumblr.

0 comments:

 

the little house in the city © All rights reserved · Theme by Blog Milk · Blogger