Pumpkin Pie From My iPhone

Thursday, October 07, 2010

Ahhh... a tiny piece of homemade pumpkin pie and a cup of coffee in the late afternoon -- these are the joys of working at home. Eating this little treat, I remembered that I should share the recipe, which was quite good, Pumpkin Pie with Spiced Whipped Cream originally from Bon Appétit.

But what I really wanted to share was how useful I finally discovered the Epicurious iPhone app to be! I downloaded both the Epicurious app and the Everyday Food app, but have never really found occasion to use either until the other day. I was at the grocery store and I remembered that my boyfriend and I had talked about making pumpkin pie. Normally, I would consult three cookbooks and choose a recipe, but since I was already at the store, I whipped out my phone, fired up the Epicurious app and found a four fork (aka star) recipe, bought the ingredients and went home to make the pie.

Admittedly, trying to read the recipe off of my phone was a pain, but I was still thrilled to have found a good recipe with such ease while on the go. The pie was easy to make and very yummy, and the app is definitely worth checking out.

What about you, what pumpkin pie recipe do you swear by?

Pumpkin Pie with Spiced Whipped Cream
from Bon Appétit

1 frozen 9-inch deep-dish pie crust, thawed, pierced all over with fork**

1 15-ounce can pure pumpkin
1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
1/4 cup sour cream
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
2 large eggs

1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Reshape crust edge to form high-standing rim. Bake crust until browned, pressing bottom and sides of crust occasionally with back of fork, about 14 minutes. 2. 2. Cool crust on rack. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F.
3. Whisk pumpkin, condensed milk, sour cream, 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon ginger, vanilla, and allspice in large bowl to blend. Whisk in eggs. Pour into crust (some filling may be left over).
4. Bake pie until filling is puffed around sides and set in center, about 55 minutes. Cool pie on rack. (Can be made ahead. Let stand at room temperature 2 hours, or cover and chill overnight.)

** Note: I used a brand called Oronoque Orchards that was very tasty.

3 comments:

Liz Fenton said...

I like the recipe in the Chez Panisse desserts book--uses half and half and brown sugar, instead of condensed milk.

Kelsey Ann said...

technology proves its put to good use with this beautiful pie <3 mmmmm pumpkin <3

lola said...

ooh i have the same app... and there is a pumpkin cheesecake recipe that is absolutely delish on it. i added more pumpkin to it so it would have the consistency of pie and let me tell you - the compliments were neverending!

 

the little house in the city © All rights reserved · Theme by Blog Milk · Blogger