$7 Hardware Store Clamp Lamp Makeover

Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Looking for affordable clip-on style lighting for bedside reading, I was frustrated by the high price or ugly looks of the lamps available on the market. While researching options, I came across a post on Remodelista about upgrading a hardware store work light with spray paint. I decided to give it a try myself, and the results were much greater than I expected. Here's what I bought and what I did:

I bought a 75-Watt Incandescent Clamp Light ($7) and Rust-Oleum Gloss Protective Enamel spray paint at Home Depot. I decided I wanted to paint only the outside of the shade, so I used some painter's tape that I had on had for the masking.

To prep the shade for painting, I disassembled the lamp. Then I used pieces of the painter's tape to mask off the interior of the shade and to cover the lip of the shade. I used an exact-o knife to help get the tape into the seam between the lip and the shade's exterior.

I sprayed the shade using very light coats of paint to make sure I didn't get any drips. It takes some patience, but you'll be rewarded with a more professional-looking finish. Because it was cold out, I let the paint dry for two days before handling. Then, I removed the tape and reassembled the lamp. I spray for a fancy bulb since it is exposed and the lamp itself was so darn cheap.


0 comments:

 

the little house in the city © All rights reserved · Theme by Blog Milk · Blogger