Digest 1.23.15 - Small Space Edition

Saturday, January 23, 2016

A winter storm is brewing outside, I have a cup of nice, strong coffee, and my little guy is lying quietly next to me on the couch after waking up: It's a pretty great morning. I've got so many things bookmarked right now, that I am going to make this round of links all about smalls-space—and include some photos for a change!

This garage-turned-tiny-house in Berkeley, CA is not exactly my style, but oh, it is awfully cute. The inhabitants used all the classic small-space solutions: A Murphy bed, a folding dining table and chairs, and a day bed with storage for a couch.

Erin Boyle, of the blog Reading My Tea Leaves, has a new book, Simple Matters. In conjunction with the book's release, she has 14 tips for small-space living up on A Cup of Jo. I loved seeing how she and her husband reconfigured their one-bedroom to give their daughter the bedroom (a very common move for us New York City dwellers). Here's a link to the same apartment before the swap, if you're curious.

Minimal-chic Japanese brand Muji exhibited a trio of tiny, pre-fab houses earlier this year in Tokyo. Inhabitiat shared photos and information about the project. Designer Jasper Morrison's "Hut of Cork" (above) was my favorite of the three. Wouldn't it be great if these went into production?

Finally, Fast Co. shared a truly micro-house designed by two Polish students. When closed up the mobile, tiny houses measure just 33 square feet. That's a little small for my tastes, but I liked the plywood-clad interiors and the clever use of space, including fold-down elements like a bench and desk.

0 comments:

 

the little house in the city © All rights reserved · Theme by Blog Milk · Blogger