Tiny Kitchen Before and After

Saturday, October 11, 2014


Speaking of kitchens, I was mightily impressed by this kitchen makeover that appeared on the One Kings Lane blog. A collaboration between two One Kings Lane employees, Danielle and Megan (both of who I happen to know!), this clever and attractive design makes the most of a teeny-tiny space. I should also note Danielle's kitchen has the exact layout of our kitchen, so it's a space that feels very familiar to me.


The coat of white paint really freshens up the space. Danielle also added white beadboard to the from of the island and a white subway tile backsplash, which she tiled herself.


Hanging cutting boards on the wall makes use of vertical space and adds a decorative accent to the room. A basket on top of the fridge can store pantry staples like onions and garlic.

Megan's genius white rack-and-board shelving (made from 4 small wine racks and a 1″ x 12″, cut to length) above the cabinets really maximizes the vertical space in the kitchen. I love how the semi-custom shelving makes it feel okay to put things on top of the cabinets. I've been using that space for years, but this looks so intentional and stylish.


The feather pendant lamps are gorgeous (and genius!), but I'm not sure they'd be my first choice for the kitchen. That said, I can imagine making one for a table lamp for a quiet corner. The step-by-step instructions are on Design*Sponge, if you feel inspired to try it yourself.

Photos by Manuel Rodriguez for One Kings Lane.

0 comments:

 

the little house in the city © All rights reserved · Theme by Blog Milk · Blogger