The Boat House, Lambertville, NJ

Tuesday, May 15, 2012


On Friday night we went down to visit our dear friends who live just outside of Princeton, NJ.  My friend had planned for us to go to Lambertville, NJ for dinner and drinks. After a big, delicious dinner, she insisted that we head to a local bar, which surprised me, since it was getting late, and she's pregnant, so often tired. If it had been just any old bar, I think she would have gladly headed home, but I think my friend knew that my husband and I would really love this particular place, and I am so glad we got to spend some time there.

The Boat House sits off a main street in what seems more like an alley than a proper road. Approaching from the dark, nearly silent streets, it was lit up and seemed inviting. Inside, the two-story structure is a nautically-themed bar that is covered floor to ceiling in seascapes, model ships, flags, paintings of boats and all other manner of sea faring paraphernalia -- it's maximalist decor and it is awesome. I didn't have a camera with me to take photos, but I managed to find a few online. (The image of the exterior above is from Lifestyle Maven; the shot below is from American Public House Review.)

The Boat House doesn't serve food or clever cocktails: There's beer in bottles, wine by the glass (nothing fancy), hard liquor and your standard bar mixers. My husband was a little disappointed not to be able to order a Dark and Stormy (no ginger beer), but I have to say, I was a little pleased and surprised by the no-nonsense bar offerings.


The upstairs part of the bar is where we found a corner to sit, and we were lucky enough to be joined by the bar's owner, Jim, who is an acquaintance of our friends. Jim, who I would guess is now in his late 70s or early 80s, was a high school history teacher, who opened the Boat House as a side project, so we would have something to do in the summers. Jim is responsible for the bar's home-y decor and for each and every piece that adorns its walls (and ceilings!). He shared some stories of a few of the pieces, and it made me want to come back and hear about each and every object the he could recall.


The above image of the corner in which we sat is from Flickr/lakewentworth; the three images below are from Amy of M-Dashing, who was apparently as smitten with the bar as we were. I'll definitely be back -- next time with my camera in hand!




0 comments:

 

the little house in the city © All rights reserved · Theme by Blog Milk · Blogger