Printer Slipcover

Saturday, January 08, 2011

Back in August I mused about sewing slipcovers for electronics, and sometime afterwards, I actually went ahead and made one. It took me ages to post this, but better late than never, right?

This ugly beast above is one of two printers that my boyfriend owns. It's the one he uses to print photos, so it's not going to be going away anytime soon. When confronted with the presence of the behemouth in our bedroom, which is where his desk is, I thought at first that we could store it in the cabinet below. However, it really isn't practical to take it in and out to print. Then, I joked that I would sew it a cozy. After a moment's thought, it didn't seem so funny: A slipcover would be a good solution.

So, I cut up an old IKEA canvas curtain and sewed a cover for the printer. Now, I know this may seem a little obsessive compulsive, it really makes a world of difference: Hidden under a white canvas cloth, our bedroom is a little less of a workspace and a little more serene.

Above you can see the printer with its slipcover on. If you don't look too closely, it's a pretty good solution to the ugly printer problem. The printer isn't square so, I had to create a sort of trapezoid-like structure instead of a simple box. I'd never sewed anything where three pieces met at a corner, so the corners are rudimentary at best.

Below you can see it on the left of the desk (and printer #2 to its right). At the time, I also made a small curtain to hide his untidy shelves, but it proved to pesky to keep in place.

Have you ever sewed a slipcover for an unusual object? A printer? A TV?

0 comments:

 

the little house in the city © All rights reserved · Theme by Blog Milk · Blogger