Creamy Fettuccine With Leeks, Corn, and Arugula

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

I don't normally cook recipes from Real Simple magazine. A few blah recipes years back turned me off from trying any more and I sort of figure real foodies don't look to RS for menu ideas. However, a recipe for Creamy Fettuccine With Leeks, Corn and Arugula in the June issue caught my eye, so I tore it out. I didn't get around to cooking it until this past weekend, and boy am I glad I finally did. The combination of the leeks, corn and arugula was lovely, and it makes me curious to give Real Simple's recipes another shot.

I halved the recipe and served as a side dish to some simple, pan-seared scallops and we had leftovers. I was fairly faithful to the recipe: I used a bit more olive oil than the recipe called for (enough to coat the pan), one full ear of corn for 1/2 the recipe (use two for the full, for sure), and I used freshly ground pepper, which it did not specify, but I prefer. I also didn't have pecorino, so I used the Parmesean we already had on-hand. Otherwise, I made this as described -- we salted and peppered it a little extra at the table too. Definitely one to add to repertoire.


Creamy Fettuccine With Leeks, Corn and Arugula
From Real Simple magazine

12 ounces fettuccine (3⁄4 box)
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 leeks (white and light green parts), cut into thin half-moons
4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
kosher salt and black pepper
1 cup corn kernels (from 1 to 2 ears)
1/2 cup dry white wine
3/4 cup heavy cream
2 cups baby arugula (1 1⁄2 ounces)
1/4 cup grated pecorino (1 ounce)

Directions
1. Cook the pasta according to the package directions.
2. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the leeks, garlic, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the corn and wine and simmer until the corn is tender, 2 to 3 minutes; stir in the cream.
3. Add the pasta, season with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper, and toss to combine; fold in the arugula. Sprinkle with the pecorino before serving.

0 comments:

 

the little house in the city © All rights reserved · Theme by Blog Milk · Blogger